WE DON`T KNOW IF YOU`LL FIND OIL, FOR SURE YOU`LL FIND RESISTANCE
Following a series of meetings involving people from all over Greece, was decided to start the “ CRETE INITIATIVE AGAINST HYDROCARBON EXTRACTIONS “
This initiative comes to complement the map of resistance all over the country.
We strongly disagree with all Conventions that the Greek State has already signed with oil multinationals and with the agreements it aims to.
Particularly in our Region, Western and South-Western seas were granted by the State to the consortiums : EXXON-MOBIL, TOTAL and ELLINIKA PETRELAIA.
An international competition in order to grant the right to research and the right of extraction of hydrocarbons is already underway in parallel additional aereas, including the rest of Libyan Sea.
The reasons of our opposition are based on similar international experiences :
- Devastating impact on marine ecosystem
- Possible increase of seismicity
- Air, sea, coastal pollution
- Impact on people's health
- Unavoidable small oil spills due to pumping platforms and oil transport
- Deterioration of the Landscape and Physiognomy of the Region
- Tourism collapse
- Fishing business collapse
- Local Economy and Society collapse
- Huge oil spill accident ( in this case destruction, instead of gradual, would be immediate and incalculable )
- Risk for Greece to be involved in a even more dangerous geopolitical situation than the actual one
- Risk of war
Governments and oil multinationals systematically silence impacts on natural environment and local societies reporting unrealistic profits for the State and the people.
In fact, profits are from least to zero.
OIL HISTORY IS COMING TO AN END WHAT'S BEST?
CRETE, SYMBOL OF ALTERNATIVE, VIABLE TOURISM OR CRETE PREY OF OIL COLOSSUSES ?
IF YOU WANT TO KEEP CRETE BEAUTY, SAY NO TO OIL EXTRACTIONS!
CRETE INITIATIVE AGAINST HYDROCARBON EXTRACTIONS